My photo
Pixie Hollow, Neverland
This blog existed originally as a project for my Journalism class as a Communications neophyte. But I decided to continue it still because I do love what I do, and I can't just leave this blog to rot. So far, I've got 2 blogs. The first one is a really bad version of a college-survival blog. And the second is a more personal blog dedicated to venting out the many debates that go on in my Egyptian head.

27 Feb 2012

Food: French Toast

Food, again. You can already see how strong my sweet tooth and appetence for food are. So, here, we have the classic French Toast that I just love so much, I could survive with this for an entire week. Let's get to it as I'm entirely ecited.

What you'll need:
  1. Flour 1/4 cup all-purpose (I used to not use this ingredient, but I found that it makes quite a great difference in the mixture) 
  2. Milk, 1 cup
  3. Salt, wee bit (a pinch would do)
  4. Cinnamon, 1/2 tsp (powder)
  5. Eggs, 3 pieces
  6. Vanilla extract, 1 tsp
  7. 1 tbsp white sugar (but since we live in the Philippines, we all know you'll be using brown sugar which is just as good, if not better)
  8. 12 slices bread (I like using white bread, but you can use whole wheat if you prefer a healthier option)
To be rather honest, I've never utilised a particular recipe such as the one I just posted. I know what ingredients are involved, and I simply put in whatever amount of each I deem fit for the moment so you don't have to follow this recipe to the dot. I learned this style of cooking from my brother Albert (thank you very much) who isn't the most prominent fan of Martha Stewart's precise measurements of each ingredient. I acquired this recipe off my favoured recipe website (I'll share it soon enough), and it's a recipe for Fluffy French Toast (stress on the fluffy). I believe self-generated recipes are the best so put more sugar, more cinnamon, more vanilla if it pleases you (We all do enjoy our sweets differently). So here's all you need to do:
  • With the flour in a flat bowl (I hope you get what I mean. Also, make sure it's big enough to fit the toast), whisk in the milk.
  • Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix. The mix doesn't have to be smooth.
  • Heat a pan that's lightly oiled or buttered.
  • Soak both sides of the bread on the mixture until it has a generous share (the more soaked, the better) and fry until golden brown (Remember: the good ones are always golden brown)
  • Optional: I lightly sprinkle a bit of confectioners' sugar (or icing sugar, if you're from England) as it adds a bit more sweetness and I like mine sweet.
And this is how it's supposed to look like:

Okay, not exactly like this, but this does look
 tremendously marvellous, doesn't it? 

If it doesn't look this good, no reason to fret. It's the taste that matters (Mine doesn't always look so scrumptious, but they sure do taste delicious, not to brag of course). If you're not satisfied with the degree of sweetness, play around with the ingredients as I mentioned earlier. Add or lessen, nothing can go wrong. I have a high school friend who makes the most incredibly luscious French Toast ever and up to this day, I cannot seem to make mine taste as good as his. That's why I constantly add, remove, and lessen different spices.. I can never seem to determine his secret. 

This is the perfect breakfast, topped with a few fruits and fresh orange juice, but even without these extra bits, the French toast is adequate on its own to satisfy your tummy in the morning. If you want to try a couple of variations, here's a few to get you started:
  • If you are able to acquire some nutmeg (please do tell me where I can get, you cannot imagine how desperate I am), add a bit of it for more flavour. 
  • Double the cinnamon and vanilla. Go on.
  • Mash some bananas and add it to the mixture.
  • You may add a bit of butter and maple syrup before serving.
  • I've heard that a shot of dark rhum makes it taste good as well. I've never tested this, but maybe I will in the future. (If you try this ahead of me, do tell me the results)
Do post any suggestions, if you've tried it and how'd it go! When we meet, I promise to cook you some of my own Egyptian version. :)

Ciao. 

No comments:

Post a Comment