My photo
Pixie Hollow, Neverland
This blog existed originally as a project for my Journalism class as a Communications neophyte. But I decided to continue it still because I do love what I do, and I can't just leave this blog to rot. So far, I've got 2 blogs. The first one is a really bad version of a college-survival blog. And the second is a more personal blog dedicated to venting out the many debates that go on in my Egyptian head.

12 Mar 2012

Conflicted

Everything we do is a result of our decisions. These decisions are made upon our unfortunate encounter  to conflict. You'd think now that I'm referring to conflict between us and the forces of the world (see previous blog post on the Unavoidable Laws of Nature) - but rather, it a conflict between us and ourselves.

This conflict is the heart of what is to be human. As much as we'd like to say 'Oh, I've got total control of myself' the truth is.. we don't.

You want to eat that juicy steak that's screaming your name but you also want to be healthy and stay fit. 
You want to be an advocate for environmental cleanliness but you also want to get rid of your wet ice cream wrapper like.. right now. 
You want to finish your term paper but you also want to finish the 4 chapters left of that awesome book. 
You want to help others but you also want to have a little more for yourself.

Your brain is this organic structure that works through chemistry. It's got competing interests, and all these want to act out. It's not fair to say the brain follows one path of thinking.

It's an unceasing dispute between what we want.. and what we want. We end up choosing something because we were conflicted in the first place. That's the whole logic behind choosing in the first place. It's a battle between which one advertises better, sort of like marketing, like the media. You make a better decision when one side is able to entice you better than the other.

That blueberry cake-batter cheesecake looks better than the steamed fish soo..


thank you, sethgodin

No comments:

Post a Comment