My photo
Pixie Hollow, Neverland
This blog existed originally as a project for my Journalism class as a Communications neophyte. But I decided to continue it still because I do love what I do, and I can't just leave this blog to rot. So far, I've got 2 blogs. The first one is a really bad version of a college-survival blog. And the second is a more personal blog dedicated to venting out the many debates that go on in my Egyptian head.

8 Mar 2012

Madge Café: Native Coffee for the Troubled Soul

(Click on the pictures for a larger view)
Finally, I get to share my sanctuary, my favourite thinking spot, and the best coffee I have tasted so far in my 17 years of existence (no joke).

In the midst of a busy Lapaz Market, lies an unknown coffee shop that offers fast service, friendly greetings and what might be the cheapest breakfast you can obtain outside. 


Tito Pete (the friendliest man ever), together with his effervescent team that serves freshly brewed coffee to the customers, never fails to make the customers feel like they're welcome to their own variation of home. Despite its lack of proper ventilation (no air conditioning, only fans; sorry dears) and its close proximity to well.. what you may encounter in the mundane public market.. I find that the place makes me feel very much comfortable. A plus factor is that it's student-friendly in terms of expenses.

In spite of the heat, I've always rather enjoyed my coffee hot. For just P22, you can get a good cup of perfectly brewed  native coffee. Feeling hot? Add P8.00 and get a bigger cup of iced coffee.

If you're in a rush, get your coffee to go for free which they put in a tin can. Many times, this is frowned upon by people who wondered why I get my coffee in a tin can, but honestly, I couldn't ask for a better container. Their resourcefulness (tin cans come from the evaporated milk) also adds a native touch to it. Yay for non-conformation to society!

As I mentioned earlier, they have rather cheap food available. Here are a few of my favourites:

You can't go wrong with the classic pancit canton noodles and a good egg (P30) which is why when I come to this café rather hungry, I order this immediately. 

The corned beef that they offer is marvellous specially if paired with the butter-toasted bread. To be honest, just the buttered-toast is enough to satisfy my tummy. 

All these orders up here won't go above P50, so you can just imagine how much you'd save if you eat here everyday.

On the days when I'm really (I mean REALLY) running out of money, a good order that would do my wallet justice is the Native Puto.

 I have never tasted a better variation of puto (A kind of rice cake in the Philippines) compared to what they offer. And these, both the coffee and rice cake, are less than P35.

When my coffee-buddy and I go to Madge and are exceptionally hungry, we could get a complete meal and be extra full for (wait for it).. not more than P70.
Another thing fascinating about this place, is at the wall facing the main counter (first picture), is an entire collage of either their daily customers or famous people who have visited the café. Also included are news articles and blog posts about them.


Like me, you can come here in between classes (I have two 3-hour breaks a week) with a book and read all afternoon. If you're not much a reader (start!), then you can go there with your iPod and listen to some good French music and feel like you're in a different country.

It's my sanctuary because I can go there by myself, drink good coffee, read my books and not have to worry about bumping into someone I know who will converse with me about mediocre issues, so I get the peace that I desire. If not by myself, I go with my closest guy friend, Sieggy, and we constantly debate and talk about issues or quotes/beliefs that allow us more insights. I highly suggest this place for anyone who finds that they have similarities with me. Do enjoy! If you'd like to go, contact me and I'd be willing to bring you there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment